Wyoming Internet Guide
If you live in Wyoming, or will soon live in Wyoming, and need internet service, then this page is for you.
On this page you will find information that will help you find the major internet service providers in the state of Wyoming. After that we cover what the 3G coverage looks like, and then the types of internet access the top colleges in Wyoming provide to their students.
Find the Best Internet Service Provider in Your Area of Wyoming
Local Residential Internet Service Providers
Below you will find information about internet service providers that are local to Wyoming. These three ISPs focus on residential internet service.
- Sisna: Sisna offers DSL internet with speeds up to 10Mbps. They have a dedicated connection so there’s no need to dial in. No price is placed on their web site as you need to call them in order to request a quotation. Call them at 877-467-4762.
- Communicomm: High-speed internet are offered up to 3 service tiers – from 800 kbps to the super-fast 12 mbps for Light, Everyday and Power Users. No price is posted on their site, but you can contact them to request for a quotation, depending on your area. Their phone number is 800-392-2662.
- All West Communications: All West Communications minimum DSL plan start at $39.95 at 5Mbps download speed. They also have an $89.95 package with download speed of 50Mbps. For 100 Mbps, you will need to call them for pricing. Phone number is 866.ALL.WEST (255-9378).
Local Business Internet Service Providers
These 3 ISPs are also local to Wyoming. However, they focus on internet connections for small businesses.
- Visionary Communications: Visionary Communications has their DSL package offered for $49.95/month. Download speed starts at 15Mbps. Contact them for more information at 877-288-8389.
- Mountain West Telephone: Mountain West Telephone offers a wide variety of Internet access and speed options, scalable to any organizational needs. Whether yours is a need for dial-up or enterprise-wide connectivity, they can deliver the speed and reliability you and your organization demand. With broadband speeds ranging from 1.5 MBPS all the way up to 50 MBPS, our Internet Services can handle your data needs, small or large. Phone them at (307) 233-8400.
- TCT West: TCT offers special value pricing on High Speed Internet for customers who have their telephone services, including VONtel, and an Internet service — as low as $45.95/month. If you don’t have a need for TCT’s telephone services, they can still meet your High Speed Internet needs for as low as $52.45/month. Call them at 800-354-2911.
Wyoming Internet Connections and Coverage
The information below covers the speeds and 3G coverage that you’ll find in the state of Wyoming.
In terms of speed, Wyoming is slower than most states with an average speed of 8.68 Mbps. That’s about two thirds the national average, which is 12.55 Mbps.
The 5 cities with fastest internet speed in Wyoming are:
- Cheyenne – 11.39 Mbps
- Sheridan – 11.35 Mbps
- Casper – 10.28 Mbps
- Riverton – 10.19 Mbps
- Laramie – 10.01 Mbps
The 5 fastest internet service providers in Wyoming are:
- Bresnan Communications – 11.65 Mbps
- Advanced Communications Technology – 9.59 Mbps
- All West Communications – 7.91 Mbps
- James Cable, LLC – 5.51 Mbps
- Visionary Communications – 4.61 Mbps
Please keep in mind that these averages change regularly. To see the most current speeds for Wyoming internet, as well as the fastest cities and ISPs, please visit the Wyoming Net Index page.
Mobile 3G Internet Coverage for Wyoming
The western two thirds of Wyoming is covered mostly with mountain ranges and ranges in the foothills of the eastern Rocky Mountains, while the eastern third of the state is the high elevation prairie known as the High Plains. Because of the rocky and mountainous terrain, you might find that 3G coverage is sparse in some areas.
Here are the major data carriers for the state of Wyoming and a brief overview of what their 3G coverage looks like. Please note that you should still visit their website and check their 3G coverage map as coverage can change regularly.
AT&T: AT&T’s mobile coverage is mostly in the eastern portion of the state as the western portion is made up of mountain ranges.
Clear: Clears mobile internet are available in major cities such as Riverton, Casper, Cheyenne and Sheridan.
Verizon: Verizon has a larger coverage with their 3G internet except for the northwestern areas and some parts in the center of the state. These are due to the mountainous terrain.
Top 5 Colleges in Wyoming& Their Internet Access
In this section you’ll find the top five colleges in Wyoming. What we have done is research each of the colleges to find out what types of internet access they provide their students and what students need to do in order to get that access
UW’s Information Technology provides wireless data network access (IEEE 802.11b/g) in most campus locations. Here are the access networks to connect to the internet using your wireless device:
UWyo – recommended wireless network for UW students, faculty, and staff
UWresnet – recommended wireless network for users in UW residential areas
UWguest – recommended network for UW guests
Northwest College students can connect to the campus wireless internet by selecting the “nwc” network. Once connected, they will have to open an internet browser and log in using their campus log-in.
Anyone who wishes to print or connect to the wireless network on campus needs a valid login.
Sheridan College provides a wireless network which is available to Students, Staff and Faculty as well as visitors to our college. The “Public” wireless network is for use by community members or anyone seeking direct Internet connectivity, keep in mind that you will ONLY be able to reach the Internet, but NOT all college Internet available to students and employees (students and employees please use the students or employees network outlined above)
WWCC’s Wireless internet access is available in the Atrium around the pendulum and in the library.
Free Internet Access Spots in Wyoming
Free WiFi spots in Wyoming are found in hotels/motels, cafes and fast food shops. Other places include parks and libraries. You can also go to these places to connect wirelessly:
- Wayfaring Traveler Ranch in Burlington
- Summit Rest in Landon
- Visitor Center at Rest Area in Sheridan
- Yellowstone Rd in Cheyenne
- Snow King Resort in Jackson
Keep in mind that this is far from exhaustive list of free internet access spots in the state of Wyoming. These are just some of the more trafficked, well known or popular areas in Wyoming with wifi access.