On this page you’ll find all the information you’ll need to find and/or buy internet services in Mississippi. More specifically, we cover who the internet service providers are, where to go to get 3G coverage and where to find free wi-fi hotspots.
Find the Best Internet Service Provider in Your Area of Mississippi
Local Residential Internet Service Providers
These 3 ISPs are local to Mississippi and focus on providing services to residential areas.
- Cable TV of East Alabama: CTVEA offers internet packages for your place. They have download speeds of up to 1.5 Mbps, 3.0 Mbps, and 6.0 Mbps. Prices are not stated on their site. You need to call them for a price quote at 334.298.7000.
- Metrocast: Metrocast basic internet access costs $24.95/month with u pto 256 Kbps download speed. The High Speed Basic costs $35.95/mont with 1.5 Mbps, High Speed Internet is $46.95/month with 7 Mbps, and High Speed Ultra costs $69.95/month with up to 10 Mbps download speed. Call them to get connected by dialling (800) 457-5351.
- Dixie-Net: Dixie-Net’s internet service has up to 1.5 Mbps download speed. Their Residential package is priced at $39.95 while their Business package is priced at $59.95. Call them at 601-223-2120 for more details.
Local Business Internet Service Providers
The following ISPs are also local to Mississippi, but focus on providing internet access to businesses.
- Telepak Networks: Telepak Networks offer DS1 connections that provide dedicated access that’s faster, more efficient, and more cost-effective than traditional phone lines. They also have DS3 connects which are powerful and secure pipelines for data intensive applications. At a speed up to 45 Mbps, 100% of your defined port speed can be used. To request a price quotation, contact them at 00-342-3716.
- CableOne: CableOne offers a Business Economy High Speed Internet & Data package for up to 5 Mbps download speed. Other plans like Business Suite (SOHO), Office, and Business Enterprise High Speed Internet & Data have up to 50 Mbps download speeds. The difference are their upload speeds, number of email accounts, and the data usage per month. The prices are not stated on their website as you will have to call CableOne to get a quote. Their phone number is (208) 375-8288.
Mississippi Internet Connections and Coverage
In this section you’ll find information regarding the internet speeds in Mississippi, and where you can go to get 3G (mobile) internet coverage.
In regards to speeds, Mississippi has an average speed of 11.30 Mbps, which is slightly slower than the national average of 12.55 Mbps.
The 5 cities with fastest internet speed in Mississippi are:
- Laurel – 23.39 Mbps
- Picayune – 21.13 Mbps
- Olive Branch – 20.05 Mbps
- Ridgeland – 17.27 Mbps
- Moss Point – 16.04 Mbps
The 5 fastest internet service providers in Mississippi are:
- Charter Communications – 24.54 Mbps
- ISP Associates, Inc. DBA Dixie-Net – 20.05 Mbps
- Comcast – 18.27 Mbps
- Cable One – 16.17 Mbps
- Telepak Networks – 16.04 Mbps
Keep in mind that these numbers change regularly, if not daily, so for the most current stats check out the Mississippi page at NetIndex.com.
Mobile 3G Internet Coverage for Mississippi
In this section we briefly cover where you can get 3G access in Mississippi, and who from.
Clear: Clear has good mobile coverage in the state of Mississippi. Cities like Jackson, Philadelphia, Columbus, Greenville, McComb, and a lot more, have 3G internet access.
AT&T: AT&T’s coverage is good in Mississippi. The only areas where there’s not much coverage are those in the south to southeastern part where low hills are located.
Verizon: Verizon has wireless 3G coverage all throughout the state. Only a few minor areas don’t have mobile coverage and this is due to the geography where natural land forms and water forms make it difficult to set up signal.
Top 5 Colleges in Mississippi & Their Internet Access
In this section you’ll find the top 5 colleges in Mississippi, the internet access they provide students and how to get access.
Wireless coverage is constantly being added in the university. A valid WebID is needed to log on to the campus wireless network. If you have guests in need of access, there is a Guest Services portal to create a temporary account for them.
Univertisty of Southern Mississippi students who want access to the wireless internet need to complete the registration and authentication process. Students will select USMStudent network to access wireless on campus. Southern Miss wireless service will work on campus and Pine Haven Apartments only and does not include apartments near campus.
MSU wireless coverage is located in nearly every indoor and outdoor area of the main campus and it is available to all students, faculty, and staff.Campus guests may obtain limited wireless access by going to the MSU Welcome Center or Barnes and Noble in the Cullis-Wade Depot.
Millsaps offers wireless internet but requires the student to type in their Millsaps College username and password. The wireless network to connect to is named MajorAir. This network gives wireless internet access from anywhere on campus.
Jackson State University wireless network users will be required to provide log on credentials. All employees, students and other authorized users are required to provide a valid username and password to log on to the JSU wireless network.
Free Internet Access Spots in Mississippi
Places with free WiFi access in Mississippi aside from restaurants, hotels, coffee shops and libraries, are:
- Circle K in Biloxi
- Wards in Brookhaven
- Rothe Enterprises in Columbus
- The Food Court in the Turtle Creek Mall in Hattiesburg
- Main Street Market Place in Natchez
Please keep in mind that this isn’t a complete list, but just a few ideas of where you can find or look for free wi-fi hotspots in Mississippi.