If you’re in Iowa and are interested in learning more about what options and providers are available in your area, then you’re in luck. On this page you’ll find details on what ISPs are in Iowa, what the 3G coverage looks like, what access the top colleges in the state provide students and where you can find free wi-fi hotspots.
Find the Best Internet Service Provider in Your Area of Iowa
Local Residential Internet Service Providers
Below is a list of internet service providers that are local to Iowa, and possibly surrounding states. The first 3 focus on providing connections to residential areas.
- Kalona Cooperative Telephone Company: Kalona has different internet packages for you to use. The first package has a download speed of 1 Mbps for $29.95/month. They also have a 2 Mbps for $39.95/month, 3 Mbps for $49.95/month, 5 Mbps for $69.95/month, and 10 Mbps for $94.95/month. For more details, call them at 319-656-3668.
- Long Lines Internet: Long Lines offers high speed internet. Their most basic packages I the Limited with speeds up to 1.5 Mbps for $24.99/month. They also have a Basic with up to 10 Mbps at $44.99/month, Essential with up to 25 Mbps at $5499/month, and Extreme with up to 50 Mbps at $64.99/month. Call 866-901-5664 to order.
- ICS Advanced Technologies ICS is the premier ISP in and around Arnes and they are gaining market share in the Des Moines area. They are offering internet residential services but prices are not stated on their site. You need to contact them to check service and availability. Dial 515-232-4453.
Local Business Internet Service Providers
Here are 3 more ISPs local to Iowa. However, instead of focusing on residential the following 3 ISPs provide internet connections to businesses.
- South Slope Cooperative Telephone Company: South Slope has the Business Rocket Internet™ which provides great speeds for your business. They have an up to 5 Mbps download speed for only $49.95/month, up to 15 Mbps for $99.95/month, up to 25 Mbps for $118.95/month, up to 55 Mbps for $199.95/month, up to 115 Mbps for $289.95/month, and up to 225 Mbps for $399.95/month. Call them for more information at 800.272.6449.
- Premier Communications: Premier Communications provides data internet access with high speed connectivity as they understand that area businesses need the best internet possible. You may want to contact them for more information on pricing and packages in your area. Call them at 800-741-8351.
- SpeedConnect: SpeedConnect offers secure, stable, high capacity, and fast internet. They have packages that range from the small home office up to high-capacity connections for large businesses. Contact them to discuss the specific package for your business. Call their Iowa office at 866-297-2900 option 1.
Iowa Internet Connections and Coverage
In this section we cover the average internet speeds in Iowa, as well as an overview of what the 3G coverage looks like if you’re using your laptop or tablet on the go.
In regards to speed, Iowa has an average speed of 11.96 Mbps, which is slightly slower than the national average of 12.55 Mbps.
The 5 cities with fastest internet speed in Iowa are:
- Winterset – 24.87 Mbps
- Mason City – 21.03 Mbps
- North Liberty – 19.93 Mbps
- Charles City – 18.01 Mbps
- Fairfield – 17.37 Mbps
The 5 fastest internet service providers in Iowa are:
- South Slope Cooperative Telephone Company – 22.85 Mbps
- Local Internet Service Company – 21.84 MBps
- Cable One – 18.41 Mbps
- Mediacom – 16.73 Mbps
- Cox – 16.15 Mbps
Keep in mind that these numbers can change at any time. For the most current numbers, check out the Iowa page at NetIndex.com.
Mobile 3G Internet Coverage for Iowa
Below is an overview of the 3G coverage provided by 3 of the largest mobile internet service providers. Coverage maps are subject to change at any time, so for the most current information you’ll want to visit the provider’s site and check out their coverage map.
Clear: Clear’s 3G coverage is located mostly in key cities such as Des Moines, Waterloo, Burlington, and Marshalltown.
AT&T: AT&T and its mobile coverage in Iowa is present mostly anywhere. There are only a few places particularly in the northeast that does not have signal. This is because of forests, deep valleys and steep hills that are present in the area.
Verizon: Verizon’s mobile coverage in Iowa is present in majority of the state. However, there are a few areas in the northwest and southwest that have will have extended coverage due to the geology where bedrock landforms area present.
Top 5 Colleges in Iowa & Their Internet Access
If you’re going to college in Iowa then this is the section for you. Below you’ll find the top 5 colleges in the state and the internet access they provide their students, as well as information on how to get it.
The University of Iowa
The University of Iowa Wireless service (UI Wireless) provides wireless data network access (Wi-Fi) for mobile computing devices such as laptops and PDA’s. This service is available for students, faculty, staff, and guests using their Hawk ID. The University focuses on providing access in common spaces, classrooms, conference rooms, and similar areas. Office space and other non-public areas may be covered, but these types of spaces are not currently priority coverage areas.
Drake University provides internet access on campus. DUStudent is the wireless network for students. Guests who would like access to the guest wireless network should inquire at the Information Desk.
Iowa State University
Wireless access to the data network is available to students, faculty, and staff in central campus green space, most campus buildings, public areas of residence halls, and on-campus residence hall rooms. Guest access is also available. For guests, if you are attending a specific event, select it from the list and click “Register Here”, otherwise click “Guest Registration Here”. Guest access privileges last for seven days or for the duration of the event you are attending.
The Luther College wireless network aims to provide wireless access to all academic buildings, administrative buildings, residence halls, and to outdoor public spaces where technically viable. The LCWireless SSID is only for the use of Luther College Faculty, Staff, Students, and Sponsored Guests. The LCGuest SSID is only intended for the use of guests. User sessions are limited to 2 hours at a time.
Wartburg College offers free access to the wireless network for students, faculty and staff. The SSID to connect to is “WC_Wireless” and to access the network, you must complete a registration process by installing the network security agent and the provided anti-virus software. You will open a web browser and select the option that pertains to you, Students or Faculty-Staff, from the registration page. For guests, the WC_Guest network ID is available
Free Internet Access Spots in Iowa
Libraries are common places where you can get free WiFi access in Iowa. Other places are restaurants, coffee shops and hotels. Below are other locations in Iowa:
- BP Station in Batavia
- I Spot Access – rest areas in Davenport
- Iowa Genealogical Society in Des Moines
- Therkildsen Activity Center in Harlan
- Riverside Travel Mart in Riverside
- Cedar Valley Golf Course in Tipton
- Valley Junction historic area in West Des Moines
It’s important to note that this is far from a complete list of free wi-fi hotspots in Iowa. This is just a shortlist to get you started — to give you an idea of where to find free internet access.